A beautiful old manor in a gorgeous part of Estonia. The location of "Kila-Kola laat", a fair in the summer for antiques and old property, which has been in Seidla manor for 20 years!
Seidla Manor was first mentioned in 1639. The owner was the widow of a Swedish war commissar Adam Schrapffer. Soon the Manor switched owners and the new owner was the Nieroth family, who owned the manor until the 18th century.
The ownership of Johann Heinrich von Mohrenschild from 1740 to 1785 was the most important in the constructional history of the manor. In his time the manor gained its ultimate wealth and the presentable manor core and manor house were built.
In the 19th century the manor belonged to the Vietingoffs and Schillings. On the 20th of August 1837 Pauline von Vietingoff (maiden name von Mohrenschild) inherited the manor from her stepmother Charlotte vo Mohrenshild (maiden name von der Pahlen). On the 11th of May 1868 she gave the manor to his son, Adam Friedrich Magnus von Vietinghoff. On the 19th of April 1884, Georg Walter von Schilling bought the manor. He died on the 30th of March 1902 and his inheriants were his nine sons and one daughter. In 1904 they all agreed that the manor will go to Hans von Schilling, who was the last owner of the manor. In his time the main field of activity in the manor was horticulture. They grew all kinds of fruit and flowers, also for sale. There was also a working distillery in the manor. In 1919 the manor was nationalized by the Republic of Estonia.
In 1921 a six-grade municipality school started its work in the manor. The school doctor wrote in the inspection reports for many years that the rooms in the manor need renovating and the floors need to change because the old ones are getting bumpy. The wallpapers are worn-out and there were also cockroaches and bugs. The floor of the second floor was so worn-out that it could have been dangerous. The last headmaster of the school (1957-1973) was HElge Õunapuu (Maarend). On the last years of the kolkhoz a local guardsman built up the granary and put a new roof on the manor house out of lithuanian stone.
From 1996 the manor has been owned by AS TSUNFTIJÄNES, whose main field of activity is restauration of antique furniture and designing stylish interiors.
The manor house was built in 1785. It belongs to the early classicism period and is one of the most valuable examples of that period in Estonia. The building has remarkable classical proportions.
The buildings interior may seem somewhat baroque beside the strict early classical external design. The period specific arched underside was used as economic space. Anfilate - festive joining livingrooms and hall are on the second floor. The carpentry work is exceptional: carved stairs, doors, window sills.
The manors valuable stoves and fireplaces were destroyed during the renovation of the school in the 1950s. There have been found some small pieces of the stoves and fireplaces.
The closed balcony on the garden side is from the second half of the 19th century. The balustrade over the main door is from 1910. The late-baroque main door is the perfect example of Estonian carpentry from that time.
The park surrounding the manor is in english style. The pond needs cleaning and deepening. In the past there was fish farming in the pond and in the winter the pond was used for ice-skating. Next to the pond is the distillery, built in the end of the 19th century. During the kolkhoz there was a polluting starch mill in the distillery.
The court in front of the main house is sided by the granary and the carriage house. The granary was restored in the end of the 1980s but the carriage house is in ruins and needs renovating.
On the side of the road there is a pleasance surrounded by a high stonewall, which is currently being restored.
There is a so-called "icecellar" in the manor park with an interesting space solution.
In the "old times" the manor also owned a Dutch type windmill, which today is owned by a worthy person who has renovated the Seidla windmill and made it not only a tourist atraction but also a functioning windmill.
The main house is being renovated from 1996. The ceiling and wall constuctions have been restored, which were damaged in the 1980s by a leaking roof. Many windows of the manor need renovating and also the valuable door and windowsills.
There is no photographic evidence or original furniture left from the old manor interior