Alatskivi Castle A fairytale castle on the eastern border of Estonia!
In 1843, Sophie Heloise Marie Euphrosine von Stackelberg, the daughter of the Count of Alatskivi married Ernst Friedrich von Nolcken, the Baron of Luunja. Thus, the manor of Alatskivi passed into the Nolcken family. The eldest son of Sophie and Ernst, Arved Georg von Nolcken was the man who ordered presentable living quarters, the Alatskivi castle, to be built to Alatskivi for his family based on his own designs. Both the Nolckens as well as Arved's wife's family, the Loewensterns, supported the construction of the castle.
The pre-construction work of the castle began in 1876, in 1880 the corner stone was laid and the completion of the castle was celebrated in 1885. The castle is modelled after the Balmoral castle in Scotland which is a royal residence in the UK. Similar characteristics are e.g. the massive balcony with an edged parapet that can be seen above the main entrance, corner towers and small protruding towers with cone-shaped roofs, the high tower that is square-shaped at the bottom and octagonal at the top. What is different compared to the Balmoral castle is the solution for the room plans. Balmoral castle is also much larger and suits perfectly with the surrounding landscape. The location of these castles in the nature is also quite similar, both of them are situated in the wild nature on a slope of a valley of a river.
Alatskivi Castle is a Neo-Gothic castle in Alatskivi, Estonia.
The manor ensemble is a set of buildings, lands, objects, and legends, the breath of which can be felt even nowadays. The buildings and characteristic objects can be divided into four categories or circles that are connected by pieces of land and a network of roads.
The first contains the castle, coaching house and cheese cellar; the second, the economic circle, contains the laundry, kitchen, stables and sheds; the third or border circle, contains the barn, mills, church and cemetery; the outer fourth circle contains the Apollo Belvedere statue and the final resting place of the Estonian folklore figure Kalevipoeg.
57 buildings and objects belonged to the manor ensemble in the 19th century, 41 of them are still in their original place now.